Monday, October 09, 2006

For the price of 10

I was walking home leisurely right after class and was stopped by a motorcyclist (Malay who looked like Indian) whose motorcycle was parked and he appeared to be in dire need of help. He spoke fluent BM and claimed to be from Kajang.

His need (as told by him):
1. Got knocked down by a someone and the culprit fled.
2. His bag was stolen when the accident took place.
3. Motorcycle is in need of repair (as he showed me the damage).
4. Need to fix his bike or at least be able to get home.

Hence, he asked me for help with sending his motorcycle for repair or lend him cash for petrol. After thinking through the situation; I thought it would be no harm giving him some money for petrol. So, I said I'll give him RM5 for petrol. (He kept pestering for at least RM 8) Well, what a calculative man I thought. (He even wanted my phone number so that he can repay next time) Of course I did not disclose my personal details.

Well, I really hoped that somebody would pass by so that I can ask another person for help. But somehow there weren't any passers by at all; how coincident. Sigh, I took out my wallet and wanted to hand him RM5 but to my dismay; I only had RM10 notes. Double Sigh! Well, I just handed him the RM10 and refused any offer of repayment and just left.

I write this not to justify whether or not he was really in need of help or not but just to let you know about an example of an incident that some might come across too. I might have made a mistake of helping him if he was a con. If every person he approaches gives him RM10, he would easily get hundreds of Ringgit daily.

Well, if you've had similiar experiences or suggestions about being altruistic the safe way; do voice up=) I think Malaysia is full of such people who claim to be in need (real or unreal). What say you?

*As I look into my wallet right now, I can only say I'm RM10 poorer today." Sigh!

4 Comments:

Blogger Cass said...

wah, you're such a nice person hehe..well what i meant was, you're memang nice..but not just anyone would be willing to give RM10 to a total stranger hehe. Yeah, we will never know whether he was being truthful about his situation, but the most important thing is that you gave whatever you had to help him without being harm in any way. Thank God he wasnt a robber in disguise.

If i was in your shoes, i would have ran off hehe. I dont think im brave enough to offer my help to a stranger hehe.

10/09/2006 06:26:00 PM  
Blogger Andrew Au said...

Cassie: If given a chance, I would run too. Hehe... Eh, I memang nice but actually many times very "emo". haha...

10/09/2006 07:19:00 PM  
Blogger Ken said...

wah... so nice nia...
eh, still got tat rm5 note with u r? i nid to buy economy rice leh... next time giv u back... lolz

10/11/2006 12:50:00 AM  
Blogger Andrew Au said...

Haha...Dun wanna kena "con" again... Feel a lil stupid now...=(

10/11/2006 01:09:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home