Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Of narrow and wide



There are always two sides to a story. Like the famous example of the glass "half empty" or "half full". It usually boils down to how we perceive things to be. Well, our human nature instintively causes us to dwell on the negative rather than the bright side of things. This is true especially when situations turn bad or experiences turn sour in spite of the many things that we can be thankful for. We often struggle with COGNITIVE DISSONANCE.

Much to my surprise of working for the last 5 months; I have gradually seeped into a constant cycle of routine activities and unchanged lifestyle. Now, I have to find time to do what I used to enjoy doing (Swimming, guitaring, composing, watching movies etc). Life has changed so dramatically that there aren't many perks in my routine. One distinctive difference is that life is not so carefree after all. Every decision made brings consequences regardless of the severity. Actions taken are all preparation for the future. Sacrifices have to be made in facing daily challenges.

Despite the changes, there are things that I am thankful for too. My career has started off in a highly demanding environment in which I learned much about creating and maintaining standards. As a result of a total change of environment from what I've studied, I'm gaining every single knowledge I can as all things are new to me. Hence, this is truly priceless. My constant cycle of routine involves training people, preparing for seminars, going for regional projects and even composing for the company. I have a home that is not far from my friends and am fully supporting myself financially. During trips back to my hometown, I get to serve as a musician back in church as well. It really is exciting. Although life is not so carefree now, I get firsthand experience in learning how to be a MAN. Ahem...

To ponder again on the glass "half empty" or "half full", I guess it all depends how you want life to be like. Happy or sad, exciting or mundane. "Half empty" or "Half full", it's your choice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home